- 400g mixed fruit / cherries
- 50 g chopped nuts of choice
- one 450g tin chopped pineapple
- 5 eggs
- 125g coconut oil / butter
- 1 cup almond/ buckwheat flour of pending your gluten tolerance
- 1 cup self raising flour
- 1tsp bicarb
- optional brandy for soaking
- 1 cup sugar (optional) – for me it is sweet enough from the fruit)
- Put all fruit into cooking pot and soak overnight in brandy(1/4 cup)
- Add in coconut oil and bicard and bring to the boil, stirring all the time(it will froth up)
- Allow to cool
- Add nuts and flour – stir/ beat/mix till fully integrated – not runny but not stiff either
- Now make one big cake, small muffin size cakes or mini cakes
Bake in moderate oven for 40 minutes. Do the knitting needle stick test – If the needle is clear the cake is ready.
Cashew Nut Cream Topping:
- one 500g packet raw cashew nuts
enough water to blend into a creamy texture
- 1tsp organic vanilla essence / two vanilla pods scrapped clean
Combine all ingredients in the blender. For a very thick cream add less water. For a runny cream as for a hot Christmas or sticky date pudding add more water.
- you can add in anything you fancy ( exotic and extravagant or real simple)
- you can eat it fresh or freeze it for later use
- you can make it in advance and wrap it up for Christmas with a dash of brandy
- you can dress it up or leave it bare for informal and casual fare.
Other pages of interest:
For more recipes for healthy cooking and nutrition subscribe to my newsletter and You Tube videos at the top right hand side of this page.