No need for sprays when you understand companion planting.
Companion planting means grouping a variety of different, mutually beneficial plants together in the garden. For example, plant corn in the middle of the bed with snake beans climbing up. Peanuts can be planted as a ground cover to stop the weeds.
Steps to consider:
- Plant what you like to eat
- Start with what is easy to grow, e.g. silver beet, broccoli, bok choy, salad greens, beans, radishes
- Plan to plant perennials first, e.g. perennial leeks, South American spinach, rhubarb, fruit trees
- Plant multi-purpose plants, e.g., sugar cane, lemon grass, elder, comfrey
- Plant a variety of flowers plants to attract the bees and other beneficial insects, e.g. borage, pineapple sage, nasturtiums, honey suckle, lemon verbena, Alyssum,
- Add plants that return nitrogen to the soil. e.g. peanuts, beans, lupins
- Plant salad green on the edge of the bed for easy harvesting and interplant with herbs
Popular companion planting guide
|Alliums||Fruit trees, Peppers, Carrots, Cabbage, broccoli, Kohlrabi||Beans , parsley|
|Beans||Corn, cucumber, eggplant, radish, rosemary, spinach, mint, summer savory, marigolds||Alliums, tomatoes, chili peppers, fennel|
|Beets||Bush beans, lettuce||Runner beans|
|Brassicas||Potatoes, rosemary, geranium, borage, thyme, wormwood, sage, peppermint||Mustard , strawberries|
|Carrots||Tomatoes, alliums||Dill, parsnips, radish|
|Celery||Bush beans, leeks, cosmos||Corn|
|Peppers||Marjoram, tomatoes, geraniums||Beans , kale|
|Strawberries||Caraway, borage, lupins,||Brassicas, eggplant, mint, roses|
|Garlic||Apple and pear trees, cucumbers||Beans, borage and peas|
|Salad greens||Thyme, chives, geranium, lemon verbena, marjoram, sage|
|Chamomile||Basil, onion, cabbage|
Alliums: onions, chives, garlic chives, leeks, shallots.
Brassicas: broccoli, Brussels sprout, cabbage, radish, kohlrabi.
Other pages of interest
For more information purchase one of my helpful gardening ebooks:
“Simply inter-planting crops from different families
will help deter pests. Adding fragrant plants
will up the anti.”
“Ultimate Encyclopedia of Organic Gardening”, by FM Bradley, BW Ellis and E Phillips