This easy practice has been passed from generation to generation for thousands. It is an integral part of Qigong.
Self massage can include:
- lightly chafing
- light slapping
- gentle kneading
- resting the hand on the skin to warm over various vital centers, acupoints or sore muscles.
Let your body tell you where the massage is necessary. As you work with these suggestions below add methods of your own. The most important thing is to do it. Reading how to do it and watch a video, will not give you the benefits listed below. Just do it every day for a few minutes. Experience for yourself that it works.
Benefits to you :
- stimulates your qi flow
- relieves congestion in your body
- improves your circulation
- helps heal and strained and sore muscles you might have
- makes your Qi penetrate more deeply into your tissues
Self massage can be done sitting, standing or lying down.
After your daily practice of Qigong:
Repeat each one three / six or nine times as time permits.
- Face: Rub hands together and wash face, circulating your hands close enough to feel the warmth but not touching your skin as though looking in a mirror. Clockwise and anti clockwise. Visualize all your wrinkles being smoothed away and your skin feeling luxurious.
- Arms: Starting at the neck tap three times to activate the Gall bladder meridian, then all the way down the arms to the hands, turn arm over and all the way up and then three taps under the arms for the heart meridian.
- Chest : Work in three lines three times from the middle to the outside . Start gently then get firmer as you feel comfortable. Activates heart and lungs
- Abdomen : Bounce off the entire abdomen in large clockwise circles nine times. Repeat anti clockwise nine times. Activates all internal organs.
- Legs: Starting at the buttocks and hips bounce down the outside of the legs (activating the gall bladder meridian) then up the inside of the legs using cupped hands or fists.
- Kidneys: Rub hands together, cup the kidneys nine times bouncing off gently, then rub up and down nine times and then rub three circles clockwise and anti clockwise over the kidney. Now rub hands together again, they should be really warm, now hold over the kidney and draw in nine deep breaths into the kidneys to nourish them .
Grand Master Zhao says: ” Nobody should ever get out of bed quickly or in a hurry first thing in the morning.”
Morning Routine :
- As you begin to wake up start gentle deep breaths from the crown to Dan Tien bringing in the fresh morning energy to nourish the body
- Rub your hands together and wash your face x3
- Rub hand together and comb hair with finger tips x3
- Pat from shoulder to finger tips top and bottom of the arms x3
- Tap across the chest from the middle x3
- Bounce off the belly in clockwise and anti clockwise circles x3
- Tap down the legs outside, top and inside x3
- rub hand together x18 times till palms warm cover the eyes and gently circle clockwise and anti clockwise on both eyes together.
Now get out of bed. You are ready to start your day
Last thing at night :
- Lie still on your back and take a Qi – shower. Three natural breathing breaths – soft, slow , long and deep. Feel more relaxed with each breath.
- Imagine your crown is a funnel to heaven. Draw in the heavenly gentle energy to lull you to sleep.
- Imaging it is washing you from head to toe. Ridding your body of all the days negativity- thoughts, energy and happenings.
- After three breaths stop the washing and imaging you are in a cocoon of heavenly energy .
- Gently rub your hands together then wash your face with the warmth of your hand three times,
- Rub your hands together again and comb your hair with yur finger tips,
- Rub your hands together again and knead the ears between thumb and forefinger up and down your ears, three times.
- Gently cup the ears with your palms and gently vacuum out three times
- Now take a deep breath in using your arms to scoop up the cool evening energy around you in the cocoon take this ball of energy swallow it and with your hands, stroke down your neck, over thyroid, chest and abdomen, with hands coming to rest one hand over the other on the energy center between pubic bone and navel. We call this Dan Tien.
- Bask in the shower of heavenly energy that you are storing in Dan Tien as it continues to pour in through the funnel with the mind intention of peaceful , restful, regenerative, healing sleep. You will just drift off. Allowing your body to rest whilst your spirit is at work.
To learn more about Qigong and practice in the comfort of your home click here to purchase your Qigong DVD.