What is mulching?
It is an application of a layer of insulating material over the surface of the ground.
Mulching has several benefits:
- improve plant growth by modifying the temperature of the soil
- reducing evaporation of soil water retaining the earth worms
- smothers weed seedlings
- provides additional nutrients to the plants (depending on the material used)
- protects roots from extreme cold and heat
Mulch options include:
- comfrey leaves
- bark/wood chips
- Be sure not to let newspaper and grass clippings pack down to form an impenetrable mat so water cannot reach the soil.
- In spring be sure to reduce the level of mulch to allow the soil to warm up
CAUTION: Using black plastic strips
heavy roofing paper and other
unconventional non organic
materials are not recommended.