What is mulching?
It is an application of a layer of insulating material such as straw, leaves or bark over the surface of the ground.
Mulching has several benefits
- improve plant growth by modifying the temperature of the soil
- reduce evaporation of soil water retaining the earth worms
- smother weed seedlings
- provide additional nutrients to the plants (depending on the material used)
- protect roots from extreme cold and heat.
Mulch options include:
- comfrey leaves
- bark/wood chips.
- Be sure not to let newspaper and grass clippings pack down to form an impenetrable mat so water cannot reach the soil.
- In spring reduce the level of mulch to allow the soil to warm up.
CAUTION: Using black plastic strips
heavy roofing paper and other
unconventional non organic
materials is not recommended.