I am passionate about not getting on the therapeutic drug merry go round.
I was inspired many years ago by Joan Lawrence Symons a well know South Africa herbalist with whom I was fortunate to under study for nearly 10 years. She taught me to grow my own drugs and make remedies to treat myself and my family.
Some of my favorites include:
- stinging nettle tonic – to boost the immune system
- garlic and onion syrup – to clear phlegm (video coming soon)
- watercress soup
- mint and chamomile lollies- for kiddies upset tummies
- rosemary and clove massage preparation – for aching joints
- sage and marigold gargle – for sore throats
- sage and thyme cough mixture – for the ongoing cough
Stinging Nettle Tonic
Pick leaves with gloves on to avoid a sting. Should you be stung pick another weed, plantain and crush and squeeze the leaves and rub vigorously on the sting.
Sting – going, going, gone!
- 150g fresh young nettle leaves
- 400g organic dried apricots
- 2 oranges
- 1/2 bottle of organic red wine
- Fill a sterilized glass jar with apricots and nettle leaves
- add the zest of the oranges to the mixture
- cover with the red wine and leave for two weeks turning every day on the window sill
- Strain the mixture through a clean cloth and wring tightly to extract every bit of liquid- press hard. Bottle into sterilized glass jars. Will keep for six months in the refrigerator.
Use: Take up 2 teaspoons daily when you are feeling run down.
Other pages of interest:
For more healthy tips please subscribe to my you tube and newsletter at the top right hand side of this page. Please submit any questions you need to have answered.